Skip to content

One Lincoln Park: A Look Back

With the recent completion of One Lincoln Park, the 32-story condo tower at Lincoln and Welton Streets on Block 177 in Downtown Denver, now is a good time to take a look back at the project that was the first residential high-rise to join the Downtown skyline in twenty years.

One Lincoln Park was the topic of my very first blog entry, dated July 5, 2005. At that time, we didn’t even know the exact location of the project; all we had to go on was the teaser ad that appeared in the June 24-30, 2005 edition of the Denver Business Journal:

In my March 21, 2006 blog, I reported that One Lincoln Park had their ceremonial groundbreaking that day. Looking back on it, that was a pretty fast turnaround from project announcement to groundbreaking: about 8 months. Don’t you wish all projects could get underway so quickly?

It took a few months for actual construction to get started however. Here’s a photo of the site from my May 7, 2006 blog:

By October 2006, the tower crane had been installed:

and by the end of November 2006, One Lincoln Park construction was fully engaged:

Then, it was just a matter of watching the building go up.

January 2007 – June 2007 – July 2007:

August 2007 – September 2007 – January 2008:

February 2008 – April 2008 – July 2008:

Congratulations, One Lincoln Park and welcome to the skyline! Now, if we could only get about 30 more One Lincoln Parks in Downtown…

1. mymilehi says:

"A shimering landmark of style and grace…"

Hindsight is sooooo 20/20!

2. Dan Gonzales says:

Um no I'll pass on 30 more polished turd designs like this from BY Group.

3. BeyondDC says:

I don't mind the design of this building. I think the problem is they got the materials wrong, resulting in an unfinished look.

Warmer colors would have been much better, but the curved top, the brackets, the base… they're OK.

4. FrancoRey says:

I agree with the asessments of the 'unfinished' look. Just imagine if they made the white parts of the facade an earthy red, brown, or even stone gray mix. It would look zounds better!

5. Anonymous says:

This building is an odd mixture of 'things' that don't add up for me. I'm most bothered by the odd diagonal braces here and there, with no seeming over-all pattern. Also the base, made of brick and having rounded corners doesn't match the theme of the tower. And, finally, the complicated geometry doesn't serve any functional form. Why this or that detail is added seems completely arbitrary.

6. Saint says:

I don't understand the base when I look at it, but then imagining it to be surrounded by 7 plus story buildings makes it okay. The top of the building looks nice, especially when viewed from Cap Hill. And why's everyone caught up with everything being so functional in the design? Weren't the same people bragging about the design of the Bell Tower? There's even less function in that.

7. Anonymous says:

If you thin the exterior looks unfinished you should see the interior. I went to the Grand Opening of One Lincoln Park last night and was disappointed in the final product. Specifically, the fitness center was a joke (not the Techno Gym the developer promised), what looks like the media room has some furniture but no media equipment, the lobby looks half- assed as does the owners club and pool. Where is the restaurant and coffee shop the developer promised? I feel bad for the people who actually bought into the developer’s story. I think 1LP was over promised and under delivered. Maybe it helps if the developer is also the builder like Opus and The Pinnacle which appears to be a first class company and a first class development.

8. Anonymous says:

The last thing, left unfinished by BYG, is the payments owed to the subcontractors that worked on this project. It was quite a shock when the payments from BYG went from the 30days from pay app to the 90 to 120 days. Now as the project is completed subcontractors are lining up to place liens on the property for which the BYG group continues to abuse and not pay. If you think the owners that bought into this property were surprised about the lack of media equipment, wait until they see the liens start piling up on the units for which they already purchased or are about to purchase. The BYG group made this project a disaster and the finishes show it.