1401 Lawrence Update #7

Work progresses on the 22-story 1401 Lawrence office tower located at the corner of 14th and… you guessed it, Lawrence Street in central Downtown Denver. Our last update (#6) was in early February as the project’s tower crane was being assembled.

As evident in the image below, the base for Floor 6 is now under construction. The ground floor will include the building lobby and about 9,000 SF of restaurant/retail space. Floors 2-8 are parking. The office levels will begin with Floor 9, which includes an outdoor terrace.

2015-06-04_1401-lawrence-1

The parking levels will be screened with metal panels that allow fresh air to flow through the space while mostly shielding views of the cars from the outside. It looks like the first panel piece was just installed:

2015-06-04_1401-lawrence-2

The work site is always busy busy! My office at the CU Denver College of Architecture and Planning is right across the street and I can confirm the project is going full speed, usually even during the weekends. Here’s a shot showing dozens of workers doing their thing. By the way, I really admire these construction workers. As I watch them from my office window, everyone seems to know exactly what they should be doing and how to do it. I wouldn’t have a clue what to do. A big THANK YOU to all the construction workers who build the buildings and install the infrastructure that give form and function to our cities!

2015-06-04_1401-lawrence-3

Let’s conclude this update with a high-resolution version (4 MB) of a rendering from our initial post on this project, courtesy of the Beck Group, the designers and builders of 1401 Lawrence. Enjoy!

2015-06-04_1401-lawrence-rendering

By | 2016-12-01T15:07:13+00:00 June 4, 2015|Categories: Central Downtown, Infill, Office, Urbanism|Tags: |16 Comments

1. KyleM June 4, 2015 at 11:34 am

What a sweet looking building. Can’t wait to see it when it’s finished.

I concur with your statement on the construction workers. My office window face west and looks down upon the construction at the new Z-Block building. It’s fascinating to watch all of the big machinery and how they all work with purpose without all running into each other. Everyone knows where to be and how to do what they are supposed to do.

• TakeFive June 4, 2015 at 9:48 pm

As I read the 4th paragraph I kept nodding my head.

2. Patrick Kinne June 4, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Hey Ken,

Any idea what is going on at 2004 chestnut, 80202? Under the HOV lanes and next to the metro.

• Ken Schroeppel June 4, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Heard a rumor it’s a parking garage. I’m looking into it.

• Rob c June 4, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Yup parking

• Patrick Kinne June 5, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Thanks guys!

3. Paul June 4, 2015 at 2:26 pm

This project and 1144 15th Street will have an amazing effect on 14th and 15th Street. Now all we have to do is do something about the Federal Reserve Branch.

4. Dennis June 4, 2015 at 5:47 pm

This is a beautiful building. Imagine if it were 800 feet.

5. Corey June 4, 2015 at 7:01 pm

This building will be fantastic at that location. I always especially despised the parking lot that was there before. I think it is the right scale so that it doesn’t overwhelm Larimer Square like the 51 story cancelled condominium building would have. As it is now, this building steps up from Larimer Street to the skyscrapers on the next block, the Four Seasons and the just about to start 1411 15th St. I would love to see the Bell Tower, and in particular, the smaller building on the Bell Park lot, get built. It would extend the activity of Larimer Square towards Cherry Creek, which now dies abruptly at 14th Street.

• Rick June 5, 2015 at 6:25 am

Where is there info about the 1411 15th St. building?

• Ken Schroeppel June 5, 2015 at 7:22 am

He meant 1144 Fifteenth.

6. […] Almost 30 Percent of 14th and Lawrence Office Tower Will Be for Parking (DenverInfill) […]

7. Jeff June 5, 2015 at 11:09 am

So much parking. Just like the commercial in Union Station.

8. […] at the work in early June and posted an interesting update on the project’s progress. Click here to […]

9. Terry June 5, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Ken, thanks so much for your update. My fingers are crossed that the parking garage component of this project is well done and fits relatively well into the streetscape of the neighborhood.

Since you work across the street in the building that is one of the blandest in downtown–and on one of the most high profile sites, I’m wondering if there has ever been talk of re-skinning that thing? The site was once the home of Denver’s old city hall, and what a loss when that was torn down. I would think (being CU Denver is trying to elevate it’s design reputation) this might be a perfect place to start a push for improvements….kind of like your wonderful work on getting the Fontius Building redeveloped (only this time with some new skin!). Thanks Ken!

• Ken Schroeppel June 6, 2015 at 4:32 am

We sure do have a building re-skinning plan for the CU Building! It’s all a matter of funding, and the wait list for higher education capital funding is a lot longer than what the state legislature appropriates, so it’s hard to say when it will happen. The old city hall was across the street where Bell Park is. Buzz Geller had a pre-recession plan for an office building on that corner. Maybe it will come back as a project one of these days.

Comments are closed.