1144 Fifteenth Update #23

Downtown Denver’s most reflective skyscraper is looking more complete every day. 1144 Fifteenth, standing over 600 feet tall, is now starting to take shape and is beginning to answer a lot of questions about the final product. Most of the facade is now up adding a really large splash of glass to the skyline; as you can see in the cover photo, and panorama below.

Not only does it have a very unique roofline, more on that later, it also takes many different forms on the skyline, depending where you are around the city. From the southwest, specifically the Auraria Campus, the building has a wide presence but the curved roof and rounded edges relieve some of the wideness.

1144 Fifteenth Auraria

As we mentioned above, when moving around the city, 1144 Fifteenth takes different shapes. From Diamond Hill in Jefferson Park, the tower is much slimmer but the curved roofline is less apparent.

1144 Fifteenth Diamond Hill

Here are a couple more detailed shots of the two angles we compared above.

1144 Fifteenth Auraria
1144 Fifteenth Speer Blvd

As you move around Downtown Denver, towards the north, the design of the building keeps changing and a sharper, steeper roofline unfolds.

1144 Fifteenth Union Station
1144 Fifteenth 38th and Blake

To wrap up, here are two photos detailing the unique, and very welcomed roofline.

1144 Fifteenth Roofline
1144 Fifteenth Roofline

By the end of next month, the tower crane for 1144 Fifteenth should be taken down. This will give us an even better idea of what the completed building will look like.

By | 2017-10-09T21:09:21+00:00 October 8, 2017|Categories: Central Downtown, Infill, Office, Urbanism|Tags: |14 Comments

1. James October 9, 2017 at 12:04 am

Agree like the glass and how it’s pulling the skyline west etc. It almost seems like the area is building up to visually support another higher tower poking up behind. It’s as if you have to admit that there is somewhat of a 40 story glut in downtown Denver with the Tabor Center proposing a height cutback as well as the block 162 with two towers instead of one.

2. Dave October 9, 2017 at 8:17 am

The building looks great! Any word on if they are still planning to have the crown light up at night?

• Dan October 9, 2017 at 12:57 pm

Last I heard/read, they removed the lighting on the crown due to concerns about it being too bright for residents in the Four Seasons tower (understandable, IMHO). I hope the Block 162 tower doesn’t lose the crown lighting; I doubt the Spire is close enough where that would warrant any real concern and there aren’t any other residential towers in that area…

• Dave October 9, 2017 at 8:37 pm

That’s why they invented curtains.. J/K That sucks that it’s not going to be lit, but understandable thanks for the update Dan.

• Dan October 10, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Lol, if only…

• ChrisA October 10, 2017 at 8:17 am

I would instead like to see what they can do with limited lighting on the side of the building like Devon Tower in Oklahoma City or what they do to side of buildings in Tokyo or Singapore. One reason I note that maybe less direct light to the sky would be best is because Denver is better than other metros in being able to see the stars. Plus Rocky Mountain National Park receives the glow from the metro and prohibits the best night views in such a beautiful park. I think lighting can be done right and with some really cool touches to make us an innovative city.

3. Bobby Mucho October 9, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Nice. Any pics at street level? I’m interested to see how they’re planning on / how well they’ll handle activation and sidewalk space.

• Ryan Dravitz October 9, 2017 at 4:11 pm

We’ll be covering the street level once the crane comes down! 🙂

4. John R October 10, 2017 at 7:33 am

Great headline shot!

5. Jeffrey October 10, 2017 at 4:31 pm

I remain disappointed in this building. The orthogonal matrix across the windows does not fit well with the bends in the over-all shape of the building, especially at the top, where the window frames look mismatched against the odd angles of the building’s form. I know I’m in the minority on this, but I think this makes the building look cheap.

6. Zoltan October 11, 2017 at 6:41 am

The building looks positively ghostlike in the first two snaps. The reflection is amazing! Hopefully, this effect is routine and not specific to a time of day/angle/light quality/etc. Looking forward to seeing completion.

7. Ed M October 11, 2017 at 4:39 pm

I can be added to the people who are disappointed in this building. Two issues. First, as shown in the first pic I think the sheer mass of the long side of it combined with the angles looks bloated for want of a better term. Second, I don’t get the odd, unrelated angles on the top. They look good from some viewpoints but just plain weird from others.

8. Jessica Isaacson November 9, 2017 at 8:54 pm

I think the building looks great, so I feel a little bad suggesting this rather unclassy nickname. But, like the Cash Register, once you see it…

I give you: The Boxcutter Building. 🙂

9. Andrew Turner November 13, 2017 at 7:22 pm

These photos of downtown Denver are priceless. The new face of the skyline in the Chase Bank building photo is pretty awesome – I have always loved more than anything the view of downtown from up north – along I-25 heading south – from where you go under the bridge to I-70. Awesome! Now we need a building with more than 56 floors.

Comments are closed.