The Pullman Update #5

Previously known as Ascent Union Station, The Pullman has been making significant progress. As a refresher, this is a 14-story, 142-unit apartment project that occupies one of the last developable parcels in the Union Station neighborhood.

The Pullman adds a significant amount of density to the north end of Union Station as it is surrounded by the commuter rail tracks, and low-rise residential buildings. Here are three pictures of the project from along Wewatta. The blonde brick and paneling facade is starting to go up; however, the majority of the facade will be glass which hasn’t started to go up just yet.

As we mentioned above, this project adds a good amount of height to this area, and gives us a neat view down the (very new) Wewatta Street canyon.

The Pullman still has a ways to go with completion expected around mid next year. We will stop by again when the glass starts to make its way up the building.

By | 2018-10-07T09:08:24+00:00 October 6, 2018|Categories: Infill, Residential, Union Station, Urbanism|Tags: |9 Comments

1. Freddie October 6, 2018 at 8:08 pm - Reply

I’m ashamed to admit, even though I’ve spent most of my life in Denver, I’ve never been 100% sure how to pronounce Wewatta so I mostly just avoid saying it. How is it pronounced? (blush)

• Ken Schroeppel October 7, 2018 at 10:51 am - Reply

It seems to range from wuh-WATT-uh to wee-WATT-uh.

2. Matthew October 7, 2018 at 10:32 am - Reply

I say wuh-WATT-uh. Everyone: feel free to lampoon me now.

3. David October 7, 2018 at 3:01 pm - Reply

I live on wee-WATT-uh, and have for nearly 3 years now.

4. John October 7, 2018 at 3:43 pm - Reply

Definitely wuh-WATT-uh

5. Chad Foutch October 8, 2018 at 11:48 am - Reply

I concur, its wuh-WATT-uh

6. UrbanZen October 9, 2018 at 12:26 pm - Reply

I believe both Wazee and Wewatta were named after the Arapaho Indian wives of one of the early founding figures of Denver. If you pronounce Wazee as Wah-zee, perhaps Wewatta is Wee-watta. Just a thought, I actually have no idea.

• Erik October 10, 2018 at 8:01 pm - Reply

Yeah that’s a pretty goofy guess. The Arapaho language is both nuanced and complex; they not only have more than just one sound per vowel, they use extended vowel phonologies that aren’t used in English.

My slightly-less uneducated guess is that since their four short vowels (one of which is e) are commonly depicted with a single character and extended vowels are commonly depicted with two or three characters (ee or eee), then it’s probably closer to weh-watta.

It’d be fascinating to hear thoughts from an actual native speaker on this.

7. Bill October 11, 2018 at 5:14 am - Reply

The more this area fills in the more out of place the steam plant looks