Steele Creek Apartments Update #1

Continuing on our Cherry Creek infill tour, let’s head across the Cherry Creek neighborhood to East First Avenue and Steele Street. At this intersection, there will be a 12-story building featuring 250 apartment units with ground floor retail. Since our announcement post in May, the two buildings on site have been demolished, the foundation has started to go in and a new shiny red tower crane has been erected.

Out of the entire block, the Steele Creek Apartments only takes up about a third resulting in a thinner building that won’t be too overbearing on the streetscape. However, given the height of 12-stories, this building will still have a significant impact around this intersection!

Let’s go in a little closer and look over the fence. As stated before, the foundation work is well underway. Parking for this project will be above ground on floors 2-5 with apartments on floors 6-12. Because minimal underground work is needed, we should start to see this rise above the street level pretty quick!

Today I have a bonus photo for you! While I was running around taking pictures of all the Cherry Creek development, I found an exceptional view of Downtown Denver from the West parking deck at the Cherry Creek Mall. Make sure you click to embiggen!

The Steele Creek Apartments are only the beginning for high-rise development in the Cherry Creek neighborhood! Stay tuned for more updates!

By | 2016-12-04T13:56:37+00:00 January 29, 2014|Categories: Cherry Creek, Infill, Residential, Urban Form|Tags: |8 Comments

1. Tee January 29, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Parking garages frequently have the best views. Great image.

2. Troy January 30, 2014 at 6:49 am

I agree with Tee! I just posted a photo to my g+ page (https://plus.google.com/112314960702180479730/posts/9FzYFd8beri), not nearly as great as what you took, but it reminded me of what I can take on top of parking garages. I need to go to more to take shots.

3. […] By Ryan Dravitz […]

4. Isaac Z. January 30, 2014 at 4:56 pm

WOW….that last picture! ! !
    Great Ryan.

• Peter January 31, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Agreed, great photo. Took me a minute to notice 1801 peaking out from behind the cash register.

Would so love to see a few new towers filling in all the gaps in our skyline.

5. Bennett February 1, 2014 at 10:54 am

With all this development in Cherry Creek, do you think a street car or light rail will be built in the near future to connect it to downtown?

• mckillio February 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm

They’re going to need to do something. I only go there when I absolutely have to. Parking is horrendous and I can’t shop much with my bike. A street car along 1st/speer from COish to Federal would be amazing.

• Randy February 8, 2014 at 7:53 am

Actually, there is a lot of under utilized parking.

Everyone wants to park on the street, or in the mall parking lots.

Yet the parking structure (Clayton Lane or Whole Foods) always has space. I find it funny to watch people jockey for a spot in the Whole Foods lot after I parked in the garage, which WF will validate for 90 minutes.

But yes, street cars and more bike stations/lanes will help.

Many of these new developments include residential/office/retail, which in theory will reduce the need for vehicles. They will also include underground parking, so those drawn to the area from afar will have a place to park.

Comments are closed.