Meow Wolf Denver Update #1

Back in December, we announced a funky new project that will be going vertical between three elevated roads and will eventually rise 30-feet above said roads. Meow Wolf Denver is anything but ordinary. Over at our announcement post, we explored the project, history, and location in great detail so make sure you check it out if you missed it:

New Project: Meow Wolf Denver

Construction for Meow Wolf is in full swing with a new element on the project site. Yes, that is a crane hugging the Colfax viaduct surrounded by two other elevated bridges. In the entire existence of DenverInfill, this is the first time we have ever seen such a thing. In addition to the aerial, below are two more photos of the new luffing jib crane.

Meow Wolf Aerial
Meow Wolf Luffer
Meow Wolf Luffer

Since our last visit, the project site has been fenced off and groundwork has begun. Nothing has started to go vertical, just yet, with the exception of the tower crane. Here are three ground-level photos from under the viaduct this morning.

Meow Wolf Under Colfax Viaduct
Meow Wolf Under Colfax Viaduct
Meow Wolf Under Colfax Viaduct

Given the unique build Meow Wolf is, this will be a very exciting project to watch. We will stop by again once the main structure starts to go vertical.

By |2019-03-08T09:29:09+00:00March 8, 2019|Categories: A Feature Post, Auraria, Construction, Infill|Tags: |18 Comments

1. Jeff March 8, 2019 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Any update on 9th and Colorado Development? Its been a while since last update and there seems to be a ton going on!

• Ian Wheat March 13, 2019 at 11:37 am - Reply

I am very curious about this as well, the dense senior community they are putting in on the eastern side is interesting as well. I am also really curious what is going to happen to the old VA campus!

2. Brian Repsher March 8, 2019 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Does it seem that all the construction activities in the downtown area has slowed to a trickle – why is this?

• Freddie March 8, 2019 at 7:13 pm - Reply

No. No, it seems the construction activity is as brisk as ever — to me at least. I can’t believe how much is going on all around me.

It’s interesting though that not everyone sees it that way. Maybe it depends on where you live and where you commute to work, etc.

• Corey March 11, 2019 at 8:17 am - Reply

Well, it is winter and maybe the snow has some effect.

3. James March 9, 2019 at 12:12 am - Reply

When is CDOT going to remove that neanderthal Colfax viaduct auto friendly concrete slab of a transportation mode. Bring it down to the ground with bike lanes and traffic signals would make for a better pedestrian experience. This is the problem, freeways just keep people from choosing to walk which is definitely healthier for them.

• Freddie March 9, 2019 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Ummm, it’s a freeway interchange. Colfax either has to go over or under I-25. And traffic signals where? It already has traffic signals.

Also, that freeway gets me to work in 20-25 minutes. Walking would take 2 hours and 48 minutes (according to google maps). But it sure would be healthier!

(And in case anyone is curious, biking would take 1 hour and 7 minutes — which is faster than the bus, interestingly enough).

• Matthew March 10, 2019 at 12:52 am - Reply

How about you start the public relations campaign to take it down? It’ll be a NIMBY-less breeze like that time CDOT developed the Central I-70 Project to take down that other Cro-mag viaduct, right? We need a shared use path across this densely populated neighborhood! Before I get there, can you coordinate with BNSF and Union Pacific to develop a design concept for the grade separation between Colfax and the consolidated mainline? It is just a minor detail. These guys love giving in to shared use path interests. They’ll agree—the existing viaduct overpass clearly makes no sense. I bet UP and BNSF would love to build a new signature bridge over Colfax and the new bike lanes. Sure, the approach embankments would have to start in Commerce City and Littleton (grades, schrades, right?). Maybe an at-grade railroad crossing between Colfax and the consolidated mainline would be safer, healthier, and GREENER. Or a tunnel! Like Big Bertha! Oooh! Maybe we could sell a new signalized intersection at I-25, too! Everyone will agree that freeways and viaducts are the problem. I’ll lobby the state house to start a ballot measure so CDOT can arrange funding…we can’t lose!!! I’m done now.

• Matthew March 10, 2019 at 11:19 am - Reply

I forgot my medication yesterday. Feeling better now, thank you.

• James March 11, 2019 at 12:18 am - Reply

Love you Matthew! LOL I was being facetious or playing the devil’s advocate. Sometimes it feels new and trendy exploring car hate, and well realistically and more appropriately ‘petrohate’, the constant in prehistoric technology should be the real target. Meanwhile since our chief of city staff is so hip in hearing the consensus of voices and how traffic must be slowed to a crawl on Federal and it’s highway like clover ruining the community the way it does must make way for more buildings that won’t sell without parking spaces. But hey there will be another starbucks we’ll notice stopping at extra signals and having more time to interact with the people in the crosswalks. Maybe they’ll install some electric charging stations?

• James March 11, 2019 at 12:22 am

Here’s a new one…tall building pollution :- o If it weren’t for those skyscapers we wouldn’t see any pollution. LOL

• Matthew March 11, 2019 at 3:33 pm

You out-sarcasmed me. Burned. Others: Don’t mind us.

• Brent March 10, 2019 at 10:31 pm - Reply

You forgot about the river. I suppose traffic can just Evil Knievel over that, too.

• Corey March 11, 2019 at 10:26 am - Reply

I approve this message! People love to complain but didn’t vote to approve more transportation funding during the last election (not that doing something with this part of Colfax would be a project that would see those funds, anyways).

• James March 13, 2019 at 3:12 am - Reply

Yep ’tis true. I think people in general have become a bit lethargic about the voting for funding since number one, we vote for measures that say the money will be used for transportation issues. Basically vague and then linked to a newspaper article about traffic for persuasion but then we have no control over what projects are budgeted for. And it used to be simple representing the main choice of transportation…the automobile. So I think people in general are disillusioned about budgeting and anything really getting done besides actions called new and green concepts like pay lanes where that money goes to private enterprise and not the domain of general fund. This pay lanes are really forcing a deliberate negative experience with using your car for mobility and literally to cause persuasion for public transit. But not in it as much as simply an option. Now I’m not looking forward to the last 10-20 years of my life when choosing for whatever reason to drive for any good distance along the front range because of this hardly tolerable situation and possibly all for the mismanagement of funds. And I have that opinion because I don’t think the people’s opinions or wants are representative. I think ‘special study groups’ and idea engineers self professed leagues contract as experts in transportation with CDOT to justify their business existence then siphoning from the budget and that is also what slows down the process of enough action..

4. SpeerLiving March 12, 2019 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Can’t wait for this. Went to the MeowWolf in Santa Fe recently. It was super cool And the fact that this one is going to be 5x larger (i heard/read somewhere) is really going to be special.

• Kris March 13, 2019 at 11:05 am - Reply

Santa Fe is 33,000 sq. ft. vs Denver’s supposed 75,000, which is still absurd. You might be thinking of how Denver is going to be 5 or so stories.

5. Luke March 14, 2019 at 9:47 am - Reply

Great Job!!!
    Ryan and Ken
    I really enjoy this website
    I’ve noticed that there are more cranes coming down. Are we at an end of the building boom cycle.
    Are there any office tower building plans
    Coming up from Denver Planning Department